1. Our Commitment to Privacy.
- 1.3Advertisements, Content, Promotions and Services.The Site may include, without limitation, advertisements displayed on or through the Site collectively, “Advertisements“), text, images, photos, audio, music, videos, materials, comments, or other content displayed on or shared through the Site, whether provided by or on behalf of WASHINGTONSPRESS, or uploaded or posted by users (collectively, “Content“), sweepstakes, contests, rewards programs, special offers or other promotions (collectively, “Promotions“), interactive features, ecommerce, and other services made available on or through the Site, or which enable WASHINGTONS PRESS to operate, maintain and provide the Site (collectively, “Services“).
2. Information WASHINGTONSPRESS Collects.
WASHINGTONSPRESS collects the following types of information from users of the Site:
- the information you provide to become a Member;
- the email addresses of those who upload, post or share Content on the Site;
- the names and email addresses of those who communicate with WASHINGTONSPRESS by email;
- information you provide to WASHINGTONSPRESS in surveys and polls on the Site;
- information you provide to WASHINGTONSPRESS in the entry form for some Promotions offered on the Site and information provided by winners or recipients of those Promotions for a required background check or for tax purposes;
- in certain circumstances, payment and identity verification information, such as credit card number or other payment information in connection with a purchase made through the Site, such as purchasing a subscription; and
- information about other people that you provide in connection with your use of the Site or Services or sharing Content.
You can choose not to provide WASHINGTONSPRESS with certain Personal Information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many features of the Site, such as posting comments, uploading or sharing Content, registering to use certain restricted areas of the Site, participating in WASHINGTONSPRESS’ online community, entering or participating in Promotions on the Site, purchasing goods or accessing Services, purchasing a subscription, or receiving email alerts or newsletters.
- 2.2Automatic Information. WASHINGTONSPRESS may collect and process certain types of information whenever you interact with WASHINGTONSPRESS through the Site. WASHINGTONSPRESS automatically receives and records your browser information, operating system information, IP address, Device ID, cookie information and the page you requested. This information will not be stored in a manner that is personally identifiable with you.
- 2.4Email, Sharing and Communications. When you send an email to WASHINGTONSPRESS, either through the button on the Site or otherwise, WASHINGTONSPRESS may retain your email address and the contents of the email that you send. When you post, upload or share Content through the Site or communicate with other users through the Site, WASHINGTONSPRESS may retain copies of your Content. If you want to keep the information in your email(s), posting(s), upload(s), share(s) or communication(s), private or proprietary, please do not send, post, upload, share, or communicate, such information or Content to WASHINGTONSPRESS or through the Site. To help WASHINGTONSPRESS make its emails more interesting and helpful, WASHINGTONSPRESS also may receive a confirmation when you open email from WASHINGTONSPRESS if your computer or device supports this type of program.
- 2.5Social Network Profile Information. If you interact with WASHINGTONSPRESS, the Site, Content, Promotions, or Services, through a social network or by connecting your Member account with your social network account, then you may be permitting WASHINGTONSPRESS to access certain information from your social network profile (such as your name, email address, your friend list, photos, age, gender, location, birthday, social networking ID, current city, or the people/sites you follow). If you don’t want to allow a social network to share such information with WASHINGTONSPRESS and other third parties, please review the privacy settings and instructions of the applicable social network before you connect your Member account with your social network account.
3. Information Collected by Third Parties.
WASHINGTONSPRESS may allow third parties to display or provide Advertisements, Content, Promotions or Services on or through the Site. WASHINGTONSPRESS, its partners and/or advertisers, or social networks, may use third party servers to serve or present the Advertisements, Content, Promotions or Services that appear on the Site and to conduct research about the Advertisements, Content, Promotions or Services. Any of these third party servers may collect non-personal information, such as your browser, operating system, date/time of viewing, IP address, Device ID, or clickstream data. WASHINGTONSPRESS cannot control the activities of such third parties, web sites or social networks. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER THE COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION BY SUCH THIRD PARTY SERVERS OR SOCIAL NETWORKS.
4. Tracking Technologies.
WASHINGTONSPRESS or its third parties may use tracking technologies, such as cookies and Web Beacons, to collect information about users who visit or use the Site and view or interact with Advertisements, Content, Promotions or Services on or through the Site.
- 4.1Cookies. WASHINGTONSPRESS uses “cookies” to help you access and navigate the Site more efficiently and to statistically monitor how many people are using the Site.
- A “cookie” is a small file or tool stored on your computer or device containing information that allows WASHINGTONSPRESS to deliver customized information to you. WASHINGTONSPRESS uses both “session” and “persistent” cookies on the Site. Session cookies are temporary bits of information that are erased once you exit your web browser or turn off your computer or device. Persistent cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer or device and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer or device for a number of reasons, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (i.e., username and password), helping to determine what areas of the Site you find most valuable and customizing the Site based on your preferences on an ongoing basis.
- You may set your browser to notify you of or decline the receipt of cookies. Certain features of the Site, including certain Content, Promotions or Services, may not, however, function properly or be available if your browser is configured to disable cookies. Many companies offer programs that help you to visit web sites anonymously. While WASHINGTONSPRESS will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if WASHINGTONSPRESS cannot recognize you, WASHINGTONSPRESS wants you to be aware that these programs are available.
- 4.2Web Beacons. During your use of the Site, you may encounter Web Beacons, which may come from WASHINGTONSPRESS or from third parties that display or provide Advertisements, Content, Promotions or Services on the Site.
- A “Web Beacon” (sometimes also called a “web bug” or “clear gif”) is a small graphic image in a web page, a web-based document or an email message that generally allows the party that set the Web Beacon to monitor certain information about the viewer of the web page, web-based document or email message and may allow access to certain cookies. Web Beacons are usually invisible to the user because they are very small (generally 1-by-1 pixel). In general, however, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page, including an Advertisement or Content, can act as a Web Beacon.
- Web Beacons on the Site typically collect the URL of the page from which the Web Beacon originates, the type of browser requesting the Web Beacon, the IP address of the computer or Device ID of the device to which the Web Beacon is sent and the time that the Web Beacon was viewed.
- Certain Web Beacons used by third party advertisers, content providers or other service providers may collect information that allows such third parties to determine how many people are viewing and/or clicking on certain Advertisements or viewing certain Content, Promotions or Services for purposes of helping these parties serve and manage their Advertisements, Content, Promotions and Services. These Web Beacons do not collect or store Personal Information but they may, however, be used in conjunction with cookies to identify certain aggregate information about users.
- 4.3Do Not Track Disclosures.
- WASHINGTONSPRESS or its third parties may also use tracking technologies to collect information about your visits over time and across third-party websites or other online services. The Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) is a cooperative group of ad serving providers. The NAI has developed a set of privacy principles to which its members adhere. The NAI is committed to providing consumers with clear explanations of Internet advertising practices and how they affect you and the Internet generally. For more information about the NAI, third party ad servers generally and the opt-out options offered through the NAI, visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/index.asp.
- California Business & Professions Code Section 22575(b) (as amended effective January 1, 2014) provides that California residents are entitled to know how WASHINGTONSPRESS responds to “Do Not Track” browser settings. WASHINGTONSPRESS does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. WASHINGTONSPRESS continues to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
5. How WASHINGTONSPRESS Uses Information.
- 5.2Email, Sharing and Communications. The Site offers the ability to share Content or communicate directly with other users via email and other communications Services on the Site. If you use email or these Services, WASHINGTONSPRESS will use the recipient’s email address or other means of identification in order to send the Content and WASHINGTONSPRESS will also ask for your email address or other means of identification. WASHINGTONSPRESS does not use the recipient’s email address or other means of identification for any other purpose unless the recipient gives WASHINGTONSPRESS permission to do so.
- 5.3Member Areas. If you have access to certain areas of the Site because you are a Member (“Member Areas“), the Member Areas may contain groups, discussions, member profiles, comment areas, blogs and similar areas where Members can share information about themselves and their opinions, as well as post or share Content. Personal Information or Content you post or share through a Member Area may be viewed, accessed, or collected by, or disclosed to, other Members and may be used by other Members in ways neither you nor WASHINGTONSPRESS are able to control or predict, including, without limitation, disclosure of your Personal Information or Content to the public or to contact you for unauthorized purposes. WASHINGTONSPRESS uses the Personal Information you provide when registering to become a Member to send you WASHINGTONSPRESS publications, information about Member benefits and special offers, features included in the Member Areas and other information that WASHINGTONSPRESS believes is relevant and useful to its Members. By using the Member Areas, you hereby acknowledge and agree that any information you share in a Member Area (including, without limitation, Personal Information) is available to other Members and to WASHINGTONSPRESS for use as provided herein.
- 5.4Profiles. If you register to become a Member of the Site, the information that you provide to WASHINGTONSPRESS may be associated with one or more profiles, which may be stored on third party servers. These profiles, or a portion thereof, may be viewed by other Users of the Site, including, but not limited to those who are not Members of the Site.
- 5.5E-Newsletters. If you register at the Site or subscribe, you may choose to receive a newsletter via email from WASHINGTONSPRESS which may include information such as highlights from different areas on the Site, the programming schedule, and information about new features Content, Promotions or Services. You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time by clicking on the “manage your preferences” link at the bottom of any email newsletter sent to you and following the instructions. You also may unsubscribe at any time by logging in to the applicable Site where you created your profile and changing your preferences.
- 5.6Promotions. Often times, Promotions offered on the Site are sponsored by unaffiliated third parties. Information that you provide as part of an entry into a Promotion sponsored by an unaffiliated third party will be shared with the sponsor if WASHINGTONSPRESS advises you of such in the Promotions official rules. Some Promotions also may require consent to the release of information contained within the entry form for background check purposes or tax purposes if you become a winner. You should carefully review the official rules of each Promotion that you enter as they may contain additional important information about WASHINGTONSPRESS’ or the sponsor’s use of your Personal Information.
- 5.8Editorial. WASHINGTONSPRESS also may use your Personal Information in response to a solicitation for editorial, online and/or on-air purposes and for marketing and promotional purposes in connection with such solicitation. If such information is used online, on a mobile application or in a telecast, no Personal Information, other than name, city and state, will be disclosed without your consent.
- 5.9Third Party Advertisements. We may contact you regarding other marketing or promotional information that we think you may find of interest. You may opt-out of such marketing material as described under the Choices section below. If you opt-out, we may still contact you for reasons unrelated to marketing, such as for purposes of alerting you to important information about your Membership.
- 5.12Videos. Certain cookies that are set when some video products are accessed on the Site, called local shared objects or Flash cookies, may not be managed using the settings in your web browser. If you set your browser or Adobe Flash options not to accept cookies or local shared objects, you may not be able to take advantage of certain ecommerce Services, or videos on the Site. You agree that WASHINGTONSPRESS may share your viewing of videos with, or obtain information about your viewing of videos from, analytics providers and advertising partners and third-party social media sites unless you withdraw your consent.
- 5.13Reports. The aggregate information collected by WASHINGTONSPRESS also is used to create profiles of the audience for the Site that include anonymous statistical demographic information but no Personal Information. This aggregated information is used to, among other things, determine trends and needs and supply market research to potential advertisers and partners to help them understand the Site’s audiences. For example, WASHINGTONSPRESS may create a report that tells advertisers that thirty percent of WASHINGTONSPRESS’ Members are males under forty years, so that they can determine which of their Content, Promotions or Services are most appropriate for WASHINGTONSPRESS’ Members.
- 5.14Administration. From time to time, in WASHINGTONSPRESS’ sole discretion, WASHINGTONSPRESS may use your Personal Information to send you important administrative information regarding the Site, your subscription (if any), and related Services or changes to WASHINGTONSPRESS’ terms and policies. Because this information may be important to your use of the Site, your subscription (if any), and related Services, you may not opt out of receiving such communications.
6. With Whom WASHINGTONSPRESS Shares Information.
WASHINGTONSPRESS may share your Personal Information with third parties, as follows:
- 6.1Advertisers. If you “opt in” to receive information about identified advertisers or their services or products, WASHINGTONSPRESS may share your Personal Information with them. If you have questions about how these companies use your Personal Information, WASHINGTONSPRESS encourages you to review and understand their respective privacy policies. You may at any time “opt out” of having your Personal Information as part of WASHINGTONSPRESS’ marketing mailing list or otherwise.
- 6.4Payment Processors. WASHINGTONSPRESS shares your payment information with payment services providers to:
- process payments,
- prevent, detect and investigate fraud or other prohibited activities,
- facilitate dispute resolution such as chargebacks or refunds, and
- for other purposes associated with the acceptance of credit or debit cards.
WASHINGTONSPRESS may share your credit or debit card number with payment services providers or card networks to monitor card transactions at participating merchants and track redemption activity for the purposes of providing card-linked services.
- 6.5Member Services. WASHINGTONSPRESS may offer special products and services, sweepstakes, contests, rewards programs, or other special offers to its Members through third parties (“Member Services“). WASHINGTONSPRESS may share certain Personal Information such your name, postal address and email address (“Member Information“) with these third parties in order to notify you of their offerings, to determine whether, or at what level, you qualify for the products or services, and to evaluate new and existing products or services. If you prefer that WASHINGTONSPRESS not share Member Information with third parties, you can contact us at any time (see Choice below). However, if you apply for products or services or participate in any sweepstakes, contests, rewards programs or other special offers, the information listed above, plus other relevant information you provide will be shared directly with the third parties who will be providing the requested products or services. These third parties are required to use Member Information WASHINGTONSPRESS shares only to provide the requested services. We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to these parties, and we encourages you to become familiar with their privacy practices and policies before disclosing information to them. Information you provide to third parties, may in turn be shared with WASHINGTONSPRESS along with information about your use of the services. In some cases, these third parties may require as a condition of providing services to you that you authorize them to share information with WASHINGTONSPRESS. If we terminate our relationship with a third party, information you provided to them may be returned to WASHINGTONSPRESS, and WASHINGTONSPRESS may provide that information to a new third party offering the same or similar services.
7. Sale or Transfer of Information.
In the event of a sale, merger, liquidation, dissolution or sale or transfer of substantially all of the assets of WASHINGTONSPRESS or the Site, personal Information and/or other information collected about you from the Site may be sold, assigned or transferred to the party acquiring all or substantially all of the equity and/or assets of WASHINGTONSPRESS or the Site in order to permit the party to continue the operation of the Site, including the Member Areas. Subject to your ability to opt-out, you consent to the sale and transfer of your information as described in this paragraph.
8. Accessing, Correcting or Removing Your Personal Information.
If you are a Member and would like to review, update or delete your profile, please log in to and select the profile in which you would like to review, modify or delete information (i.e., the Personal Information you have provided to us).
- 8.1Choice. WASHINGTONSPRESS respects the privacy of your Personal Information. If you tell WASHINGTONSPRESS that you do not wish to have this information used as a basis for further contact with you, WASHINGTONSPRESS will respect your wishes. You also may choose not to provide WASHINGTONSPRESS with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of the Site. You may instruct WASHINGTONSPRESS to stop sending you certain promotional materials (e.g., email messages, newsletters, postcards and letters) by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in those materials. WASHINGTONSPRESS may, however, continue to contact you to provide service to your account. Please note that if you use more than one name or email address when communicating with WASHINGTONSPRESS or participating on the Site, you may continue to receive communications from WASHINGTONSPRESS to any name and/or email address which you have not specified in your opt-out request.
- 8.2Correcting or Removing Your Personal Information. For Personal Information WASHINGTONSPRESS holds, you can request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or remove the data if we are not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. WASHINGTONSPRESS may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. WASHINGTONSPRESS provides you with the following options for correcting or removing your Personal Information from WASHINGTONSPRESS’ database for marketing purposes:
- 1. You can send an email to [email protected]
- 8.3Canceling Your Account or Subscription. To cancel your account or subscription, you can email [email protected], subject “Cancel My Account” or “Cancel My Subscription” and include the email address that you registered your account or subscription with (if different from the email address you’re sending the email from) or via your online Member account page. Remember that even after you cancel your account, copies of some information from your account may remain visible in some circumstances – where, for example, you have shared information with a third-party application or web site. WASHINGTONSPRESS may also retain backup information related to your account on our servers for some time after cancellation for fraud detection or to comply with applicable law or our internal security policies. Because of the nature of caching technology, your account may not be instantly inaccessible to others, and there may be a delay in the removal of the content from elsewhere on the Internet and from search engines.
9. Important Disclosures, Practices and Contact Information.
- 9.1Third Party Links. The Site contains links to third-party web sites. Please be aware that WASHINGTONSPRESS cannot control and is not responsible for the information collection practices of such web sites, which may differ from those of WASHINGTONSPRESS. WASHINGTONSPRESS encourages you to review and understand the privacy policies of these web sites before providing any information to them.
- 9.2Data Security. WASHINGTONSPRESS maintains a variety of commercially reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, WASHINGTONSPRESS uses accepted tools and techniques to protect against unauthorized access to WASHINGTONSPRESS’ systems. You should be aware that WASHINGTONSPRESS has no control over the security of other sites on the Internet that you might visit or with which you might interact even when a link may appear to another site from one of the Site. WASHINGTONSPRESS wants you to feel confident using the Site but no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although WASHINGTONSPRESS takes steps to secure your information, WASHINGTONSPRESS does not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches or other communications will always remain secure. In the event of a breach of the confidentiality or security of your information, including your Personal Information, WASHINGTONSPRESS will notify you as necessary and if possible so you can take appropriate protective steps. WASHINGTONSPRESS may notify you under such circumstances using the email address(es) that WASHINGTONSPRESS has on record for you and/or by regular mail (if available). You also should carefully handle and disclose your Personal Information. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s web site at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data.shtm for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
- 9.3Children. The Site is a general audience site and is not intended for children under 13. WASHINGTONSPRESS requires that only persons 13 years of age or older use any of the Site. By using the Site, you hereby represent that you are at least 13 years old. WASHINGTONSPRESS does not knowingly market to, solicit information, accept service or collect information from children under the age of 13. The Site may ask users for their birth dates to ensure that the Site is not collecting information from children under age 13 or to identify when additional steps may need to be taken in connection with information collected from children under age 18. When the Site has actual knowledge that it collects information from children or offers a service directed toward children, it will comply with applicable laws, including the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. In the event that WASHINGTONSPRESS learns that we have collected Personal Information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any Personal Information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at: [email protected]
Please note that WASHINGTONSPRESS is only required to respond to one request per customer each year. WASHINGTONSPRESS is not required to respond to requests made by means other than through this email address: [email protected]
California residents who are minors under 18 years old may request the removal of any information that they posted to the Site by contacting [email protected] Upon such request, WASHINGTONSPRESS will anonymize or remove from public view any content posted by a minor to the Site, unless required by law to retain such content or information.